Sunday, February 12, 2017

Reading Books to Jacob


This is my stepgrandson Jacob and my daughter Alanna at the local Dairy Queen. Jacob lived with us for a year and he loves books. In fact, I often read him 4 or 5 books before bed and it has become a tradition that can't be broken. I would never have thought of reading that many books a night on my own, but he loves to "read" with me and he is a good listener (usually). Jacob comes over every once in a while and often spends several days. I have a hundred or so children's books that I have from my kids and my brother, a national expert in children's books. Jacob picks the books we read and he hasn't found that a problem.

I carry Jacob down the stairs in the morning and everyday I remind him that when he gets really big and strong he can carry me downstairs. Jacob is nearing 5-years old. He is going to be big man. 

As a parent and grandparent, I love the Lyle the Crocodile series, Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp, the Little Critter books, Good Night Gorilla (this was a favorite of Jacob for a long time and it's easy to read), Madeline  (my girls loved these), Moondogs, Harry and Lulu (this one I can't praise enough), Owl Moon, the Charlie Brown booksTommy dePaola books, Richard Scarry, etc.  Everyone has their favorites and kids react to certain ones better than others. They will let you know if they don't like one. You read a bunch and sooner or later you have your lists of favorites.  When my kids were in the primary grades a couple of them had difficulty and we had to read the same book over and over and over.  I hated that because I wanted to read a variety, but for learning purposes, kids are helped by reading the same words over and over--so you go with the plan. 

About my book.