There are government programs, particularly for our kids that promote physical fitness and health. The President’s Challenge is a program that promotes fitness through the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition and SHAPE America.
SHAPE America is an organization of professionals involved in school-based health, physical education and physical activity.
President’s Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition
Through partnerships with the public, private, and non-profit sectors, the President's Council offers programs and initiatives that motivate people of all ages to active, healthy lives.
The President Council's wants to help all Americans achieve healthy lifestyles through physical activity and nutrition.
The Council aims to:
- Expand national interest in and awareness of the benefits of regular physical activity, fitness, sports participation, and good nutrition;
- Stimulate and enhance coordination of programs within and among the private and public sectors that promote physical activity, fitness, sports participation, and good nutrition;
- Expand availability of quality information and guidance regarding physical activity, fitness, sports participation, and good nutrition; and
- Target all Americans, with particular emphasis on children and adolescents, as well as populations or communities in which specific risks or disparities in participation in, access to, or knowledge about the benefits of physical activity, fitness, sports participation, and good nutrition have been identified.
President's Challenge focuses on:
- Presidential Youth Fitness Program.
- President Active Lifestyle Award
- President Champions challenge
The popular Presidential Youth Fitness Program offers a fitness model to schools and provides resources and tools for educators to enhance their physical fitness programs, including:
- FITNESSGRAM® health-related fitness assessment
- Instructional strategies to promote student physical activity and fitness
- Communication tools for the classroom
- Options to recognize fitness and physical activity achievements