Monday, January 17, 2011

Green Bay Packers’ Coach Mike McCarthy on Bears-Packers NFC Title Game



As we approach the NFC Title game, it's interesting to hear what the coaches are saying. Here's a short piece that summarizes Mike McCarthy's thoughts.

On the Turf:

We're not going to concern ourselves with the turf. It's something you go with every week, every game you play in particularly on the road. You go out early, you make sure you've got the right, proper shoes on.


Approach to the Big Game:

It's hard to get to the championship game. And that's why it's even more important to reinforce what we've been reinforcing to our team, is to stick to who you are. We like our brand of football. We're not going to change the way we approach games, the way we perform in those games.


On the Bears Defense:

They're a good defense, number one. I think the statistics speaks for themselves. It's a system that's been in place there for quite some time, I know since before I even arrived here…that they haven't had any injuries, so they're very much in sync.
On Bears-Packer Title Match
It's really a privilege and honor now to be part of this great history with the playoff game against the Bears. I know it's only the second time it's happened, the 182nd meeting of both teams.


On Bears-Packers Rivalry:

We don't like their team and they don't like [our] team. I get all that. But I respect the way they play. They play the right way. We play the right way. But this is about winning championships… and you have to beat teams like the Chicago Bears [to] achieve that goal. … I think Lovie Smith is an outstanding coach. I think he's a fine gentleman. I don't know him very well on a personal level. But I really enjoy competing against him and his football team.


Sporting Chance Press